Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Infant of Prague I


Like most Infant of Prague Statues of a certain age, this one came to me with broken fingers and missing crosses on the globe and crown. But it was so dingy from the accumulated dirt of the ages that I was shocked at how beautiful it was underneath all that grime. I used 0000 steel wool to remove the dirt. Unlike most Infants of Prague, this one did not have a removeable mantle but its mantle did have a pearlized sheen which I further accentuated. The small crosses were made by molding plaster around small wire armatures then carving the plaster when it began to dry. All the gold was underpainted with a deep red so as to give it a richer tone. To further ensure this, the gold was dry-brushed on.

Before










After









Maria

No comments: