Thursday, February 26, 2009

Gracefully Speaking...

I came across some uncatalogued pictures of Our Lady of Grace statue taken on August 15th, 2008, the Feast of the Assumption, in the Church in which she belongs.

The Pastor's homily was one of the loveliest I had ever heard. He tied this important day, celebrating Our Lady, to his own journey of faith, a journey in which statues of Our Lady of Grace, sans fingers, have played some part. He honored me by including my work on this particular statue as part of the homily.

Father had invited his congregation to bring flowers in honor of The Blessed Mother. He placed my humble arrangement of flowers from my Mary Garden front and center. The picture's a bid fuzzy because my very old digital camera takes terrible pictures with a flash. But you might be able to make out the white star-shaped flowers. They are the flower stems of Hosta plantaginea "Royal Standard." Hosta plantaginea is known as the Assumption Lily as it comes into bloom at around the time of the Feast of the Assumption.

Needless to say, this particular day, honoring the Mother of God, my Patron, was one I will always treasure.

Maria

No comments: