Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Immaculate Heart of Mary


This statue, with the eerie glass eyes, belongs to the school where my niece teaches music. Although at first glance it seemed to be less challenging than my previous undertakings, it was in fact the most difficult. The problem lay in the very soft plaster, or chalkware, with which the statue was made. Replacing the missing toes was the least of my problems. Any work tat I attempted caused additional chipping of the paint and exposed the very soft plaster underneath. Even the lightest sanding took away a large amount of the plaster. Finally, after much filling and sanding, I sprayed the entire statue with a high gloss paint. After drying, the gloss was subdued with a fine steelwool producing a soft sheen.

Maria

Before










After









Maria

No comments: